Monday, October 20, 2008

Wheat Sacks Tutorial

I found this wonderful tutorial for crafters who sew, it's a great way to use up extra fabric!

As always we have to give credit where credit due this tutorial was created by

Megan at Creative Outlet Design. Stop by COD for more tutorials!



This a fun, easy and quick project that is great to give a gifts anytime of the year! and easier on the figure than a plate of sweets.

Wheat Sack

supplies needed:
sewing machine thread
fabric - at least a fat quarter
wheat (You can use rice too. I have been told that the Wheat holds heat better longer)
essential oil - you pick the scent

Step 1: Pick the fabric you like. You can create a pattern using paper for future/multiple use or just measure your piece and cut. I usually cut my fabric to be about 14 x10 inches.






Step 2: Fold your fabric, right sides together so you piece will now measure about 7x10. Sew down 2 sides together leaving one of the short ends open. You can trim your corner or any excess fabric if you want to.


Step 3: Turn your fabric inside out so the right side of the fabric is showing. Give it a quick press with a hot iron to press out your seams and make the fabric looks crisp.








Step 4: Pour your wheat into a large bowl. (this can be purchased in the bulk section of your grocery store for very cheap) Add a few drops of essential oil (optional). This creates a nice aroma as the wheat is heated up. Some of the favorites are lavendar, vanilla, lilac, etc. Stir the wheat to help distribute the oil.






Step 5: Fill your sack with wheat. If you are making a sack this size, I like to use about 3 1/2 cups. Anywhere between 3 -4 cups is a good amount.





Step 6: Turn under the top (open) edge about a 1/2 inch. I just hold both sides of the open edge and turn it under lining up the to seams at the top. It's quick and easy ;)




Step 7: Pin the edge you have just turned under and sew



Step 8: You are finished! You can make these in any size, shape or fabric. They work well for both women and men. I made one using the logo and colors of our local football team for a teacher's husband who is a big fan!




Step 9: You can package them any way you like but I always attached a little poem with them.


Wheat Sack Poem



This little pillow filled with wheat,



Is such a comfort that can’t be beat.



Microwave for 1 to 2 minutes
on HIGH and kiss those aches
and pains goodbye.



Apply it to the troubled spot,



The heat will ease the pain a lot.



Or warm those little toes, so cold.



You'll find this nice to
have and to hold.



Or freeze it for a little while,



And fix that boo-boo up in style.



Instead of a compress made of ice,



Use this pillow of wheat that feels so nice!

1 comment:

SAYDA said...

Grandpa has one. Every time I use it I wondered if it had rice or what. I love it! I sure gets nice and warm and it retains the heat for a long time. I like to hug it when I'm felling chilled.I can make one now. Thanks!